- Georgiadou EC, Manganaris GA, Fotopoulos V (2021). The diverse roles of vitamin E and its occurrence and regulation in different plant tissues. Food.Science.Technology.Quality (in press)
- Filippou P, Zarza X, Antoniou C, Obata T, Villarroel CA, Ganopoulos I, Harokopos V, Gohari G, Aidinis V, Madesis P, Christou A, Fernie AR, Tiburcio AF, Fotopoulos V (2021). Systems biology reveals key tissue-specific metabolic and transcriptional signatures involved in the response of Medicago truncatula genotypes to salt stress. Computational and Structural Biotechnology Journal (in press)
- Gohari G, Panahirad S, Sepehri N, Akbari A, Zahedi SM, Jafari H, Dadpour MR, Fotopoulos V (2021). Enhanced tolerance to salinity stress in grapevine plants through application of carbon quantum dots functionalized by proline. Environmental Science and Pollution Research (in press)
- Georgiadou EC, Antoniou C, Majak I, Goulas V, Filippou P, Smolińska B, Leszczyńska J, Fotopoulos V (2021). Tissue-specific elucidation of lycopene metabolism in commercial tomato fruit cultivars during ripening. Scientia Horticulturae 284, 110144
- Fotopoulos V (2021). Welcome to the new journal Plant Stress. Plant Stress 1, 100001
- Gohari G, Panahirad S, Sadeghi M, Akbari A, Zareei E, Zahedi SM, Bahrami MK, Fotopoulos V (2021). Putrescine-functionalized carbon quantum dot (Put-CQD) nanoparticles effectively prime grapevine (Vitis vinifera cv. ‘Sultana’) against salt stress. BMC Plant Biology 21, 120
- Singh S, Husain T, Kushwaha BK, Suhel M, Fatima A, Mishra V, Singh SK, Tripathi DK, Rai M, Prasad SM, Dubey NK, Chauhan DK, Bhatt JA, Fotopoulos V, Singh VP (2021). Regulation of ascorbate-glutathione cycle by exogenous nitric oxide and hydrogen peroxide in soybean roots under arsenate stress. Journal of Hazardous Materials 409, 123686
- Antoniou C, Zarza X, Gohari G, Panahirad S, Filippou P, Tiburcio AF, Fotopoulos V (2021). Involvement of polyamine metabolism in the response of Medicago truncatula genotypes to salt stress. Plants 10, 267
- Christou A, Georgiadou EC, Zissimos AM, Christoforou IC, Christofi C, Neocleous D, Dalias P, Fotopoulos V (2021). Uptake of hexavalent chromium by Lactuca sativa and Triticum aestivum plants and mediated effects on their performance, linked with associated public health risks. Chemosphere 267, 128912
- Kulbat-Warycha K, Georgiadou EC, Mańkowska D, Smolińska B, Fotopoulos V, Leszczyńska J (2020). Response to stress and allergen production caused by metal ions (Ni, Cu and Zn) in oregano (Origanum vulgare L.) plants. Journal of Biotechnology 324, 171-182
- Hadjipieri M, Georgiadou EC, Costa F, Fotopoulos V, Manganaris GA (2020). Dissection of the incidence and severity of purple spot physiological disorder in loquat fruit through a physiological and molecular approach. Plant Physiology and Biochemistry 155, 980-986
- Christou A, Georgiadou EC, Zissimos A, Christoforou IC, Christofi C, Neocleous D, Dalias P, Torrado SOCA, Argyraki A, Fotopoulos V (2020). Hexavalent chromium leads to differential hormetic or damaging effects in alfalfa (Medicago sativa L.) plants in a concentration-dependent manner by regulating nitro-oxidative and proline metabolism. Environmental Pollution 267, 115379
- Hasanuzzaman M, Bhuyan MHMB, Zulfiqar F, Raza A, Mohsin SM, Al Mahmud J, Fujita M, Fotopoulos V (2020). Reactive oxygen species and antioxidant metabolism in plants under abiotic stress: Revisiting the crucial role of a universal defense regulator. Antioxidants 9, 681
- Langensiepen M, Jansen MAK, Wingler A, Demmig-Adams B, Adams III WW, Dodd IC, Fotopoulos V, Snowdon R, Fenollosa E, de Tullio MC, Buck-Sorlin G, Munné-Bosch S (2020). Linking integrative plant physiology with agronomy to sustain future plant production. Environmental and Experimental Botany 178, 104125
- Irankhah S, Chitarra W, Nerva L, Antoniou C, Lumini E, Volpe V, Ganjeali A, Cheniany M, Mashreghi M, Fotopoulos V, Balestrini R (2020). Impact of an arbuscular mycorrhizal fungal inoculum and exogenous MeJA on fenugreek secondary metabolite production under water deficit. Environmental and Experimental Botany 176, 104096
- Ioannou A, Gohari G, Papaphilippou P, Panahirad S, Akbari A, Dadpour MR, Krasia-Christoforou T, Fotopoulos V (2020). Advanced nanomaterials in agriculture under a changing climate: the way to the future? Environmental and Experimental Botany 176, 104048
- Gohari G, Safai F, Panahirad S, Akbari A, Rasouli F, Dadpour MR, Fotopoulos V (2020). Modified multiwall carbon nanotubes display either phytotoxic or growth promoting and stress protecting activity in Ocimum basilicum L. in a concentration-dependent manner. Chemosphere 249, 126171
- Brizzollara S, Manganaris GA, Fotopoulos V, Watkins CB, Tonutti P (2020). Primary metabolism in fresh fruits during storage. Frontiers in Plant Science 11, 80
- Gohari G, Alvai Z, Esfandiari E, Panahirad S, Hajihoseinlou S, Fotopoulos V (2020). Interaction between hydrogen peroxide and sodium nitroprusside following chemical priming of Ocimum basilicum L. against salt stress. Physiologia Plantarum 168, 361-373
- Singh VP, Tripathi DK, Fotopoulos V (2020). Hydrogen sulfide and nitric oxide signal integration and plant development under stressed/non-stressed conditions. Physiologia Plantarum 168, 239-240
- Gohari G, Mohammadi A, Akbari A, Panahirad S, Dadpour MR, Fotopoulos V, Kimura S (2020). Titanium dioxide nanoparticles (TiO2 NPs) promote growth and ameliorate salinity stress effects on essential oil profile and biochemical attributes of Dracocephalum moldavica. Scientific Reports 10, 912
- Antoniou C, Xenofontos R, Chatzimichail G, Christou A, Kashfi K, Fotopoulos V (2020). Exploring the potential of nitric oxide and hydrogen sulfide (NOSH)-releasing synthetic compounds as novel priming agents against drought stress in Medicago sativa plants. Biomolecules 10, 120
- Tsaballa A, Sarrou E, Xanthopoulou A, Tsaliki E, Kissoudis C, Karagiannis E, Michailidis M, Martens S, Sperdouli E, Hilioti Z, Fotopoulos V, Nianiou-Obeidat I, Tsaftaris A, Madesis P, Kalivas A, Ganopoulos I (2020). Comprehensive approaches reveal key transcrips and metabolites highlighting metabolic diversity among three oriental tobacco varieties. Industrial Crops and Products 143, 111933
- Arbona V, De Ollas C, Morillón R, Fotopoulos V, Puértolas J, Ollitrault P, Gómez-Cadenas A (2019). Facing climate change: Biotechnology of iconic Mediterranean woody crops. Frontiers in Plant Science 10, 427
- Georgiadou EC, Koubouris G, Goulas V, Sergentani C, Nikoloudakis N, Manganaris GA, Kalaitzis P, Fotopoulos V (2019). Genotype-dependent regulation of vitamin E biosynthesis in olive fruits as revealed through metabolic and transcriptional profiles. Plant Biology 21, 604-614
- Christou A, Papadavid G, Dalias P, Fotopoulos V, Michael C, Bayona JM, Piña B, Fatta-Kassinos D (2019). Ranking of crop plants according to their potential to uptake and accumulate contaminants of emerging concern. Environmental Research 170, 422-432.
- Christou A, Kyriacou MC, Georgiadou EC, Papamarkou R, Hapeshi E, Karaolia P, Michael C, Fotopoulos V, Fatta-Kassinos D (2019). Uptake and bioaccumulation of three widely prescribed pharmaceutically active compounds in tomato fruits and mediated effects on fruit quality attributes. Science of the Total Environment 647, 1169-1178.
- Balestrini R, Chitarra W, Antoniou C, Ruocco M, Fotopoulos V (2018). Improvement of plant performance under water deficit with the employment of biological and chemical priming agents. Journal of Agricultural Science 156, 680-688.
- Ziogas V, Molassiotis A, Fotopoulos V, Tanou G (2018). Hydrogen sulfide: A potent tool in postharvest fruit biology and possible mechanism of action. Frontiers in Plant Science 9, 1375.
- Antoniou C, Fragkoudi I, Martinou A, Stavrinides M, Fotopoulos V (2018). Spatial response of Medicago truncatula plants to drought and spider mite attack. Plant Physiology and Biochemistry 130, 658-662.
- Georgiadou E, Kowalska E, Patla K, Kulbat K, Smolinska B, Leszczynska J, Fotopoulos V (2018). Influence of heavy metals (Ni, Cu and Zn) on nitro-oxidative stress responses, proteome regulation and allergen production in basil (Ocimum basilicum L.) plants. Frontiers in Plant Science 9, 862.
- Georgiadou EC, Goulas V, Majak I, Ioannou A, Leszczynska J, Fotopoulos V (2018). Antioxidant potential and phytochemical content of selected fruits and vegetables consumed in Cyprus. Biotechnology and Food Science 82, 3-14.
- Savvides A, Fotopoulos V (2018). Two inexpensive and non-destructive techniques to correct for smaller-than-gasket leaf area in gas exchange measurements. Frontiers in Plant Science 9, 548.
- Christou A, Michael C, Fatta-Kassinos D, Fotopoulos V (2018). Can the pharmaceutically active compounds released in agroecosystems be considered as emerging plant stressors? Environment International 114, 360-364.
- Pollastri S, Savvides A, Pesando M, Lumini E, Volpe MG, Ozudogru EA, Faccio A, De Cunzo F, Michelozzi M, Lambardi M, Fotopoulos V, Loretto F, Centritto M, Balestrini R (2018). Impact of two arbuscular mycorrhizal fungi on Arundo donax L. response to salt stress. Planta 247, 573-585.
- Manganaris GA, Drogoudi P, Goulas V, Tanou G, Georgiadou EC, Pantelidis GE, Paschalidis KA, Fotopoulos V, Manganaris A (2017). Deciphering the interplay among genotype, maturity stage and low-temperature storage on phytochemical composition and transcript levels of enzymatic antioxidants in Prunus persica fruit. Plant Physiology and Biochemistry 119, 189-199
- Van Dingenen J, Antoniou C, Filippou P, Pollier J, Gonzalez N, Dhondt S, Goossens A, Fotopoulos V, Inzé D (2017). Strobilurins as growth-promoting compounds: How Stroby regulates Arabidopsis leaf growth. Plant Cell and Environment 40, 1748-1760.
- Christou A, Agüera A, Bayona JM, Cytryn E, Fotopoulos V, Lambropoulou D, Manaia C, Michael C, Revitt M, Schröder P, Fatta-Kassinos D (2017). Τhe potential implications of reclaimed wastewater reuse for irrigation on the agricultural environment: the knowns and unknowns of the fate of antibiotics and antibiotic resistant bacteria and resistance genes - A review. Water Research 123, 448-467
- Hadjipieri M, Georgiadou EC, Marin A, Diaz-Mula HM, Goulas V, Fotopoulos V, Tomás-Barberán FA, Manganaris GA (2017). Metabolic and transcriptional elucidation of the carotenoid biosynthesis pathway on peel and flesh tissue of loquat fruit during on-tree development. BMC Plant Biology 17, 102.
- Antoniou C, Chatzimichail G, Xenofontos R, Pavlou G, Panagiotou E, Christou A, Fotopoulos V (2017). Melatonin systemically ameliorates drought stress-induced damage in Medicago sativa plants by modulating nitro-oxidative homeostasis and proline metabolism. Journal of Pineal Research 62, e12401.
- Zarza X, Atanasov KE, Marco F, Arbona V, Carrasco P, Kopka J, Fotopoulos V, Munnik T, Gómez-Cadenas A, Tiburcio AF, Alcázar R (2017). Polyamine Oxidase 5 loss-of-function mutations in Arabidopsis thaliana trigger metabolic and transcriptional reprogramming and promote salt stress tolerance. Plant Cell and Environment 40, 527-542.
- Sequera-Mutiozabal M, Antoniou C, Tiburcio AF, Alcázar R, Fotopoulos V (2017). Polyamines: emerging hubs promoting drought and salt stress tolerance in plants. Current Molecular Biology Reports 3, 28-36
- Georgiadou EC, Goulas V, Ntourou T, Manganaris GA, Kalaitzis P, Fotopoulos V (2016). Regulation of on-tree vitamin E biosynthesis in olive fruit during successive growing years: the impact of fruit development and environmental cues. Frontiers in Plant Science 7, 1656.
- Antoniou C, Savvides A, Christou A, Fotopoulos V (2016). Unravelling chemical priming machinery in plants: the role of reactive oxygen-nitrogen-sulfur species in abiotic stress tolerance enhancement. Current Opinion in Plant Biology 33, 101-107.
- Christou A, Antoniou C, Christodoulou C, Hapeshi E, Stavrou I, Michael C, Fatta-Kassinos D, Fotopoulos V (2016). Stress-related phenomena and detoxification mechanisms induced by common pharmaceuticals in alfalfa (Medicago sativa L.) plants. Science of the Total Environment 557-558, 652-664
- Sequera-Mutiozabal M, Erban A, Kopka J, Atanasov KE, Bastida J, Fotopoulos V, Alcazar R, Tiburcio AF (2016). Global metabolic profiling of Arabidopsis Polyamine Oxidase 4 (AtPAO4) loss-of-function mutants exhibiting delayed dark-induced senescence. Frontiers in Plant Science 7, 173.
- Savvides A, Ali S, Tester M, Fotopoulos V (2016) Chemical priming against multiple abiotic stresses: mission possible? Trends in Plant Science 21, 329-340.
- Filippou P, Antoniou C, Obata T, Harokopos E, Van der Kelen K, Kanetis L, Aidinis V, Van Breusegem F, Fernie AR, Fotopoulos V (2016). Kresoxim-methyl primes Medicago truncatula plants against abiotic stress factors via altered reactive oxygen and nitrogen species signalling leading to downstream transcriptional and metabolic readjustment. Journal of Experimental Botany 67, 1259-1274.
- Ziogas V, Tanou G, Belghazi M, Filippou P, Fotopoulos V, Diamantidis G, Molassiotis A (2015). Roles of sodium hydrosulfide and sodium nitroprusside as priming molecules during drought acclimation in citrus plants. Plant Molecular Biology 89, 433-450.
- Georgiadou EC, Ntourou T, Goulas V, Manganaris GA, Kalaitzis P, Fotopoulos V (2015). Temporal analysis reveals a key role for VTE5 in vitamin E biosynthesis in olive fruit during on-tree development. Frontiers in Plant Science 6, 871.
- Fotopoulos V, Christou A, Antoniou C, Manganaris GA (2015). Hydrogen sulphide: a versatile tool for the regulation of growth and defense responses in horticultural crops. Journal of Horticultural Science and Biotechnology 90, 227-234.
- Kyratzis A, Skarlatos D, Fotopoulos V, Vamvakousis A, Katsiotis A (2015). Investigating correlation among NDVI index derived by unmanned aerial vehicle photography and grain yield under late drought stress conditions. Procedia Environmental Sciences 29, 225-226.
- Seckin B, Antoniou C, Fotopoulos V (2014). Interplay between GST and nitric oxide in the early response of soybean (Glycine max L.) plants to salinity stress. Journal of Plant Physiology 171, 1740-1747
- Christou A, Manganaris G, Fotopoulos V (2014). Systemic mitigation of salt stress by hydrogen peroxide and sodium nitroprusside via transcriptional regulation of enzymatic and non-enzymatic antioxidants. Environmental and Experimental Botany 107, 46-54
- Christou A, Filippou P, Manganaris G, Fotopoulos V (2014). Sodium hydrosulfide induces systemic thermotolerance to strawberry plants through transcriptional regulation of heat shock proteins and aquaporin. BMC Plant Biology 14, 42
- Antoniou C, Chatzimichail G, Kashfi K, Fotopoulos V (2014). Exploring the potential of NOSH-aspirin as a plant priming agent against abiotic stress factors. Nitric Oxide 39, s39
- Fotopoulos V, Antoniou C, Filippou P, Mylona P, Fasoula D, Ioannides I, Polidoros A (2014). Application of sodium nitroprusside results in distinct antioxidant gene expression patterns in leaves of mature and senescing Medicago truncatula plants. Protoplasma 251, 973-978
- Filippou P, Bouchagier P, Skotti E, Fotopoulos V (2014). Proline and reactive oxygen/nitrogen species biosynthesis is involved in the tolerant response of the invasive plant species Ailanthus altissima to drought and salinity. Environmental and Experimental Botany 97, 1-10
- Christou A, Georgiadou E, Filippou P, Manganaris G, Fotopoulos V (2014). Establishment of a rapid, inexpensive protocol for extraction of high quality RNA from small amounts of strawberry plant tissues and other recalcitrant fruit crops. Gene 537, 169-173
- Tanou G, Ziogas V, Belghazi M, Christou A, Filippou P, Job D, Fotopoulos V, Molassiotis Α (2014). Polyamines reprogram oxidative and nitrosative status and the proteome of citrus plants exposed to salinity stress. Plant Cell and Environment 37, 864-885
- Nikiforou C, Filippou P, Manetas Y, Fotopoulos V (2014). Winter leaf redness in mastic tree (Pistacia lentiscus L.) is associated with increased cellular damage levels and modified nitric oxide and hydrogen peroxide biosynthesis. Advances in Plants and Agriculture Research 1, 00028
- Mhadhbi H, Fotopoulos V, Mylona PV, Jebara M, Aouani ME, Polidoros AN (2013). Alternative oxidase 1 (Aox1) gene expression in roots of Medicago truncatula is a genotype-specific component of salt stress tolerance. Journal of Plant Physiology 170, 111-114
- Filippou P, Antoniou C, Fotopoulos V (2013). The nitric oxide donor sodium nitroprusside regulates proline and polyamine biosynthesis in Medicago truncatula plants. Free Radical Biology and Medicine 56, 172-183
- Christou A, Manganaris G, Papadopoulos I, Fotopoulos V (2013). Hydrogen sulfide induces systemic tolerance to salinity and non-ionic osmotic stress in strawberry plants through modification of reactive species biosynthesis and transcriptional regulation of multiple defense pathways. Journal of Experimental Botany 64, 1953-1966
- Ziogas V, Tanou G, Filippou P, Diamantidis G, Vasilakakis M, Fotopoulos V, Molassiotis A (2013). Nitrosative responses in citrus plants exposed to six abiotic stress conditions. Plant Physiology and Biochemistry 68, 118-126
- Molassiotis Α, Tanou G, Filippou P, Fotopoulos V (2013). Proteomics in the fruit tree science arena: new insights into fruit defense, development and ripening (invited review). Proteomics 13, 1871-1884
- Antoniou C, Filippou P, Mylona P, Fasoula D, Ioannides I, Polidoros A, Fotopoulos V (2013). Developmental stage and concentration-specific sodium nitroprusside application results in nitrate reductase regulation and the modification of nitrate metabolism in leaves of Medicago truncatula plants. Plant Signaling and Behavior 8, e25479
- Fotopoulos V, Kanellis AK (2013). Altered apoplastic ascorbate redox state in tobacco plants via ascorbate oxidase overexpression results in delayed dark-induced senescence in detached leaves. Plant Physiology and Biochemistry 73, 154-160
- Fotopoulos V (2012). Never say dye: new roles for an old fluorochrome. Plant Signaling and Behavior 7, 342-344
- Filippou P, Antoniou C, Yelamanchili S, Fotopoulos V (2012). NO loading: efficiency assessment of five commonly used application methods of sodium nitroprusside in Medicago truncatula plants. Plant Physiology and Biochemistry 60, 115-118
- Tanou G, Fotopoulos V, Molassiotis A (2012). Priming against environmental challenges and proteomics in plants: Update and agricultural perspectives. Frontiers in Plant Science 3, 216
- Tanou G, Filippou P, Belghazi M, Job D, Diamantidis G, Fotopoulos V, Molassiotis A (2012). Oxidative and nitrosative-based signaling and associated post-translational modifications orchestrate the acclimation of citrus plants to salinity stress. Plant Journal 72, 585-599
- Mhadhbi H, Fotopoulos V, Mylona PV, Jebara M, Aouani ME, Polidoros AN (2011). Role of antioxidant gene-enzyme responses in Medicago truncatula genotypes with different degrees of sensitivity to high salinity. Physiologia Plantarum 141, 201-214
- Fotopoulos V, Dovas CI, Katis N (2011). Incidence of spinach viruses in Greece, highlighting the importance of weeds as reservoir hosts. Journal of Plant Pathology 93, 389-395
- Filippou P, Antoniou C, Fotopoulos V (2011). Effect of drought and rewatering on the cellular status and antioxidant response of Medicago truncatula plants. Plant Signaling and Behavior 6 (Special Issue on Plant Abiotic Stress), 270-277
- Molassiotis A, Fotopoulos V (2011). Oxidative and nitrosative signaling in plants: two branches in the same tree? Plant Signaling and Behavior 6 (Special Issue on Plant Abiotic Stress), 210-214
- Kalamaki MS, Alexandrou D, Lazari D, Merkouropoulos G, Fotopoulos V, Pateraki I, Carrillo AL, Cavetas MR, Aggelis A, Kanellis AK (2009). Over-expression of a tomato N- acetyl-glutamate synthase gene (SlNAGS1) in Arabidopsis thaliana results in high ornithine levels and increased tolerance in salt and drought stresses. Journal of Experimental Botany 60, 1859-1871
- Mhadhbi H, Fotopoulos V, Djebalin N, Jebara M, Polidoros AN, Aouani ME (2009). Behaviours of Medicago truncatula-Sinorhizobium meliloti symbioses under osmotic stress in relation with symbiotic partner input: effects on nodule functioning and protection. Journal of Agronomy and Crop Science 195, 225-231.
- Fotopoulos V, De Tullio MC, Barnes J, Kanellis AK (2008). Altered stomatal dynamics in ascorbate oxidase over-expressing tobacco plants suggest a role for dehydroascorbate signalling. Journal of Experimental Botany 59, 729-737
- Falara V, Fotopoulos V, Margaritis T, Anastasaki T, Pateraki I, Bosabalidis AM, Kafetzopoulos D, Demetzos C, Pichersky E, Kanellis AK (2008). Transcriptome analysis approaches for the isolation of genes expressed exclusively in glandular trichomes of the medicinal plant Cistus creticus ssp. creticus. Plant Molecular Biology 68, 633-651
- Fotopoulos V (2008). Assessment of potential for biological control of Botrytis cinerea by an indigenous Trichoderma harzianum isolate with a novel detached leaf-droplet inoculation bioassay and correlated increase in phytoalexin production. Pest Technology 2, 109-113
- Fotopoulos V, Holmes R, Hall JL, Williams LE (2006). Isolation, cloning and expression analysis of EcPMA1, a putative plasma membrane H+-ATPase transporter gene from the biotrophic pathogenic fungus Erysiphe cichoracearum. Mycological Research 110, 28-37
- Fotopoulos V, Sanmartin M, Kanellis AK (2006). Effect of ascorbate oxidase over-expression on ascorbate recycling gene expression in response to agents imposing oxidative stress. Journal of Experimental Botany 57, 3933-3943
- Fotopoulos V (2005). Plant Invertases: structure, function and regulation of a diverse enzyme family. Journal of Biological Research 4, 127-137
- Fotopoulos V, Gilbert MJ, Pittman JK, Marvier AC, Buchanan AJ, Sauer N, Hall JL, Williams LE (2003). The monosaccharide transporter gene, AtSTP4, and the cell-wall invertase, Atβfruct1, are induced in Arabidopsis during infection with the fungal biotroph Erysiphe cichoracearum. Plant Physiology 132, 821-829